Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wine tasting

Day three in St Andrews and I spend a lot of time shopping, and making friends with Ph.D. students and shop keepers. There's so much to think about, for example all the stuff you need to buy when you're supposed to live here for three years. The basic things such as soap, a tea mug, washing up liquid and such. I'm now the proud owner of a University of St Andrews' mug.

When bonding with fellow students it's very practical that I can almost always say, when someone tells me where he/she's from, "ah yes, I've done a film festival there". It's a good conversation starter.

It's been a lot of administrative activities these first days, including getting a doctor at a local clinic. Not that I'm sick, but it is mandatory, in case I should get sick in the future (I don't suppose I can expect to stay out of germs way for three years).

Tomorrow is the last day of this kind of practicalities I believe, after that I can focus on the job at hand. And the first task is to come up with a new, catchy title for my thesis. Any suggestions? I was rather thinking about "Knight of Hearts - a re-evaluation of the work of Hasse Ekman" but it has a whiff of pretentiousness about it so maybe not. Will sleep on it.

(Yes, there was a wine tasting of sorts at Deans Court today. Deans Court is where I live, pictures will follow.)

No comments: