Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Out of the Woods

Since last I posted here I have been out in the countryside, where, among other things, I have been swimming in a rather cold lake. There has been no phones and no disturbances. It was ever so nice, even if it was only for three days. I wish I had a place such as that on my own, so I didn't have to be dependent on friends and relatives. You see, the life of Thoreau, by Walden Pond, has always had a strong appeal to me. It still has, but now I'm beginning to view things a little different. He says in Walden that "Above all, as I have implied, the man who goes alone can start to-day; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off." It might very well be true, and I have lived my life feeling the same way, but now I feel that maybe the joy of company does compensate for the longer wait.

At the same time, the Pope has made some clumsy remarks about Islam and it's violent past. As a response Al-Qaida in Iraq has threatened to wage Holy War, and to kill all infidels (here). Now, if that doesn't prove the Pope wrong, than nothing will. When will they get off? There seems to be no end to stupidity, vanity and insanity in the world. It's like it's all a big game, and the less responsibility you take, the greater is the chance that you might win, or rather, be considered a winner. If by no one else, that at least by yourself. I wonder what motivated the officers who took power in Thailand. It would be a sad state of affairs if they turned out to be more responsible than the flashy premiership of Thaksin Shinawatra has been. (read more here).

No comments: