Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dark Evenings, Dark Chocolate, Dark Matter

Tonight I've been on a release party for a book I contributed to. Maybe party is too strong a word, but there were some people gathered for the occasion. My contribution was proof reading, of which, alas, a lot was needed.

Afterwards the sun had set and it was dark outside. Soon it will be dark when I go to work and dark when I leave work. It's not the most cheerful of seasons, but at least it's cozy to snuggle up in bed with a good book (which disqualifies the book mentioned above), or maybe have a candlelit dinner. Candles are much more efficient for setting the mood when it's dark outside after all.

While in bed, or after dinner, you could do a lot worse than eat some dark chocolate. It should be about 55 - 60% cocoa, although it all depends on the quality of the beans, and the mixture of other ingredients. If ice cream is my summertime drug, chocolate is my autumn and winter's.

While we are on the subject of dark, apparently the existence of dark matter is finally proved positive. This is something that really intrigues me. Everywhere there is matter, which is perfectly visible to the eye. In fact, everything you do see is matter. But then there is dark matter, which you can't see, but which also is everywhere, even more abundant than regular matter. Since you can't see it, it has only been a theory, to be found in mathematics and physics. But maybe scientists have at last "seen" it, or the effect it has on it's surroundings. It's like the colour black. You can't see black, since no light is reflected from it to your eye. But you see everything around it, and so you see black as well, as the defined nothingness in between all the other colours.

And now I think I'll make myself a cup of black tea. See you soon!

No comments: