Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Marrying Kind

I got an e-mail today from my dear friend Doo Seon in South Korea. She said that her boyfriend had proposed to her. They will be married in January. I'm so happy for her, for them! My only regret is that I haven't met her husband-elect. She invited me to the wedding, I hope I'll be able to make it, Busan is not exactly next door.

It seems everyone is either getting married or getting pregnant, or, getting desperate because they are neither getting married or getting pregnant, or not getting any at all. I suppose it's because we are growing up and the older you get, the more you long for a family of some kind. Nobody wants to die alone.

I have twice been to Korea to visit Doo Seon. Those days are among my happiest days of later years. It's so great to meet someone with whom you are completely relaxed. Usually there is something between you and the other person, a line that can't be crossed, some touchy issues, some irritating habit, some need to impress, or to show off. But not with her. I tend to compare everyone else I meet with her, and it's very rare to find someone like her. She is my benchmark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your nice words Frederick. I was surprised, impressed, and flattered!

Doo Seon.