Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sunday architecture

It has been a most satisfying weekend. Two things have been in focus, oh, maybe three, one and two being walking and architecture, and the third thing being educating myself on how to operate my new phone. (I have a question regarding that by the way. Why is it that when I take a photograph, the camera makes a sound like an old-fashioned camera, but when the phone rings, it makes all sorts of abominable sounds. There are various sounds to choose from, but alas, among them are not one simple ringing sound. I for a moment thought that I might as well through away the phone since the sounds were so obnoxious, but apparently I can download different sounds, so there is still hope.)

I'm very much into architecture. Yesterday I was contemplating whether I should buy a book about Frank Lloyd Wright or one about Eero Saarinen. I couldn't decide and ended up buying neither. But, even better than a book, I went out to look for some buildings designed by Paul Hedqvist. These particular buildings are rather famous, from 1933, and for many years I've been meaning to inspect them. Today finally I did. It was worth the wait. My only regret is that I didn't have the balls to knock on any door and ask if maybe I could have a look around inside. Hopefully I'll do that next time around.

If you want to look at some masterworks by Saarinen, here's a link for you.
Wright might be explored here, and of course there is always Guggenheim.
Links to Hedqvist were harder to find. Sorry.

No comments: