Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Camels are Coming

Camels are fascinating creatures, and much fun, especially for a desert loving person such as me. One thing about them is that they look so self-confident, almost arrogant. They give you a look that says "Oh yeah? You and who else?" But in fact they are not arrogant at all, but patience and kind, and they can be ever so cute. At one time after a short ride I walked up to "my" camel and while he was sniffing my armpit, I scratched him behind his right ear. He was just like a kitten, although a kitten the size of a car.

Unfortunately, humans, even though they may not look arrogant, usually are. I have written before about adults attitudes towards children, and towards animals they are even worse. One thing that never fails to annoy me is what happens when people are walking their dogs. The dog wants to go here and there, and sniff at new and interesting smells, and explore the surroundings, but the owner is always walking quickly, and pulling the leash to drag the dog along, never letting the dog stroll at it's own leisure. You shouldn't have a dog if you can't give it some space of it's own. Why must it always be man walking dog, why can't the two walk together. I'm not suggesting you should sniff around with your dog, but I do suggest that you let the dog have some fun, and don't demand that everything is done according to your schedule, or your preferences. You might be the boss, but a good boss knows how to delegate.

But, on the other hand, in the latest issue of The Atlantic (my favourite reading) there was an article about the super rich, the billionaires who, when celebrating their birthdays, fly all there friends to a tropical island for an enchanted evening. Anyway, according to the article, the answer to the question: "Who's got the power in the [billionaires] house?" is sometimes "The dog."

On TV tonight they are showing the very sweet She's the One. I think that might be a good way to end a good day. Pity about the commercials though. I hate commercials in films. Unfortunately, by watching the film I passively endorse it. Maybe I should rent it on DVD instead. Now there's a conundrum Kant never had to deal with.

No comments: